With the growing popularity of ice hockey in Hong Kong, the CIHL (China Ice Hockey League) was established in 2011 as the first full contact ice hockey league in Hong Kong. The CIHL consists of 4 teams, the Hong Kong Tycoons, Kowloon Warriors, South China Sharks, and Macau Aces, representing the South China region.The aim of the CIHL is to expand on the growing popularity of ice hockey in Hong Kong as well as to provide fantastic entertainment for people of all ages. The long term aim of the China Ice Hockey League is to establish a professional ice hockey league and to assist in the development of Chinese ice hockey players, in order to achieve competitiveness on a global scale.
Elite ice hockey league CIHL is the first full contact league in Hong Kong, covering the Southern China region. Teams represent Hong Kong, Kowloon, Macau and South China. The league is modeled after the popular British Columbia Hockey league (BCHL) in Canada with the following objectives:
- Revive and expand interest in the sport of ice hockey in China.
- Expand on the growing popularity of ice hockey in Hong Kong.
- Provide a world class entertainment product.
- Establish a bonafide Chinese professional league over time.
- Develop Chinese hockey players to achieve competitiveness on a global basis.
About ‘CIHL’ League Format:
- Playing Dates: Saturday nights
- 3×15 minute full stop time periods played 5 on 5+1 goalie.
- 1×3 minute full stop time overtime period played 4 on 4+1 goalie.
- Game are played with full body contact.