In the season 2013-2014, a new Women’s only league was created called the Hong Kong Women’s Ice Hockey League (HKWIHL) beginning from September 2013 to April 2014, the first ever international rules complied women’s league competition in Hong Kong. This is also one of the few local sports event catering to women as participants and audience. This league is open to all female players in Hong Kong. The league’s goal is not only setting the ground work for consistent player development but also projecting the image of “empowerment to women” in the competition. In addition to games, there will be monthly team practices which are structured and executed by coaches specific to each team. HKWIHL aims at being a training ground and part of a feeder system for the Hong Kong Women’s National Team which is now eligible for IIHF World Championship Competition.The League is held at Mega Ice, Kowloon Bay from October to April. It is hosted by Hong Kong Ice Hockey Association (HKIHA), with Women’s Ice Hockey Organization (WIHO) and Hong Kong Amateur Hockey Club (HKAHC) as the co-organizers. ALL female players in Hong Kong are welcome to register to play!
About ‘HKWIHL’ League Format
- Playing Dates: Practice on Tuesday nights and Games on Friday nights
- 3 teams in total with minimum of 45 players and 3 goalies
- Full 60-minutes games (played under IIHF rules and guidelines)
- 12 games plus Championship game
- 2 Exhibition Games against the Hong Kong Women’s National Ice Hockey Team (HKWNIHT)
- Try out, Pre-Season and Regular season team practices (7 sessions in total)